The president of Michigan apologizes to Michigan after the post-match fight

ANN ARBOR, Michigan – Michigan president Samuel Stanley called the actions of Spartan players in the post-match hand-to-hand fight against Michigan rival teammates “unacceptable” and said on Sunday that those involved would be held accountable by coach Mel Tucker.

“I am very saddened by this incident and by the unacceptable behavior portrayed by members of our football program,” Stanley said in a statement. “On behalf of Michigan State University, my sincere apologies to the University of Michigan and the injured students.

“There is no provocation that can justify the behavior we see in the movies. The competition can be fierce, but it should never be fierce. “

The match broke out in a tunnel at Michigan Stadium after Wolverines in fourth beat Spartans 29-7 on Saturday night. Social media posts showed that at least three Michigan players were pushing, punching and kicking Michigan’s Ja’Den McBurrows in and around a hallway that doesn’t lead to any of the locker rooms.

McBurrows and defensive defender Gemon Green made their way up the tunnel, walking alongside the Spartans after the game, while most of the Michigan team waved them off the pitch after beating rivals from the state for the first time in three years.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said Saturday night that one player he did not identify may have a broken nose. A social media post on Sunday showed Wolverine, who appears to be green, is getting battered by the Spartans.

“Two of our players were attacked,” said Harbaugh. “I saw in one movie. 10 on one. It was very bad. This has to be investigated.

Tucker said in a tweet on Sunday that his show would work with law enforcement and the Big Ten in every investigation.

“As Spartans, our program is designed to maintain the highest level of sporting competition. Although the excitement at the end of our game at the Michigan Stadium was very high, there is no excuse for a behavior that puts our team or our opponents at risk, ”said Tucker. “In full cooperation with law enforcement, the Big Ten Conference and MSU and UM management, we will evaluate the events at Ann Arbor and take swift and appropriate action.”

The University of Michigan’s deputy police chief Melissa Overton said an investigation is under way in collaboration with the Michigan State Police and the Michigan Athletics and Football Program Division.

“The investigation takes some time,” Overton said on Sunday.

Stanley said the university will cooperate with all related investigations by law enforcement and the Big Ten.

The Big Ten said in a statement: “The conference is currently gathering information, carefully examining the facts and taking appropriate action.”

It was the second game in a row in Michigan that involved an argument in a long, narrow tunnel that runs from the locker room to the field.

Earlier this month, Penn State coach James Franklin said a policy change was needed to ensure a more structured use of the tunnel.

A few warm words were exchanged and Michigan players said Penn State players were throwing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at them as the teams headed to the dressing room halfway through a tied game that Wolverines ultimately won in their 41-17 win on October 15.

Harbaugh said Franklin acted as a “ringleader” and claimed that the Nittany Lions stopped in the tunnel to prevent his team from accessing the locker room.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *